Sunday, August 3, 2008

How we got here.

OK, so if you're reading this, and especially if you've read my profile, you're no doubt wondering why isn't a guy with my credentials working? I wish I knew.
Actually, I do know why, and while I don't necessarily want to dwell on it publicly, suffice it to say that the fact that I walked away from a 23-year reporting career and a 27-year association with a newspaper has a lot to do with the actions of bad men, some of whom do business at a tower at a great Midwestern city and others in a six-story building in a mid-Atlantic city.
Listen, the newspaper business is changing fundamentally and daily, and those who practice the craft have to adapt to get ahead of those changes. I get that, and I fully well understand that the newspaper that lands on many front lawns today may be a thing of the past in the not-too-distant future.
But what is happening at many of these newspapers, my former one included, is much less about change and more about greed and ambition. My career at my former newspaper ended in equal parts because of the greed of people who run the parent company and the naked, unbridled ambition of those who run the newspaper.
Don't worry. As I said before, I have little interest in publicly flogging people that I worked for. It serves no real purpose, and it's a lot like trying to dress a pig in a tuxedo. It only gets everyone messy and it pisses the pig off.
I had a great run, and while I think I still have things to say, I could move on to the next working phase of my life with just one regret: that I never got to cover the Olympics. But in the grand scheme, leaving a career with one regret is not a bad way to go, eh?

No comments: